On Monday, November 20, 2006
Microchip announced the 14-pin PIC16F616/ PIC16F610 and the 8-pin PIC12F615/PIC12F609 general-purpose Flash PICÂ® microcontrollers. The PIC16F616/610 and PIC12F615/609 microcontrollers can reduce component counts through the integration of specialized peripherals, such as a full-bridge Pulse-Width Modulator (PWM) with deadband control, a Timer1 Gate for pulse width measurement, a comparator for hall-effect sensor interfaces, and an A/D converter for temperature and various monitoring functions. In the case of the PIC16HV616/610 and PIC12HV615/609 variants, the addition of an internal shunt regulator allows the PIC microcontroller to run from higher voltage rails without the addition of voltage regulators.
PIC16F616/610 and PIC12F615/609 Flash microcontrollers provide greater functionality
PIC16F616, PIC16F610, PIC12F615, PIC12F609 Flash microcontrollers able to eliminate components and reduce board size and cost, while achieving higher levels of functionality and flexibility. For example, in cooling fans, these chips provide greater functionality than discrete fan-control components, such as linear speed control, improved dynamic response and the ability to customize the design with firmware changes rather than expensive hardware redesigns. At the same time, board space and cost is reduced with features such as comparator hysterisis, to allow direct interfacing to a hall-effect element without additional signal-conditioning circuitry.
Many high-voltage-rail applications, such as motor control and power supplies, require components to step down the input voltage for various control devices. However, these new PIC microcontrollersâ€”available with an integrated shunt regulator option (designated with “HV” in the part number), allow engineers to design systems without having to add a regulator, reducing costs and board space even further. Additionally, motor and power applications often require intermediate voltages for power drivers and other power components. The PIC16F616/HV616 family addresses these requirements with a built-in S/R latch to design a switch-mode power supply for these intermediate voltages.
- Home appliances (such as blenders, toasters, smoke alarms and thermostat controls),
- Cooling-fan control and other motor control,
- Power tools,
- System control and monitoring,
- Battery chargers,
- Automated door sensors,
- Power supplies.
Features for the PIC16F616/610 and PIC12F615/609 microcontrollers::
- Enhanced Full-Bridge PWM peripheral with capture and compare functionality, dead-band control and emergency shutdown
- Internal Shunt Regulator that allows High-Voltage Vdd support from 2V to a user-defined max (HV variants, only)
- Up to two Comparators with selectable Hysterisis, internal voltage-reference options, and S/R latch mode for switch mode power conversion
- Up to eight 10-bit Analog-to-Digital Conversion channels
- High Stability, Precision 4/8 MHz Internal Oscillator
- Up to 3.5 Kbytes (2K Words) of Flash Program Memory; 128 bytes RAM
- Brownout Reset (BOR) and Watchdog Timer (WDT) for reliable low-power operation
Supported by the full suite of Microchip’s development tools, including the free MPLABÂ® IDE (Integrated Development Environment), the low-cost MPLAB ICD 2 (In-Circuit Debugger) and the MPLAB PM3 Universal Device Programmer.
Microchip also has starter kit, The PICkitâ„¢ 2 Starter Kit (DV164120) enables engineers, students and anyone with an interest to easily begin development and experimentation with the PIC16F616/HV616 family for a very low initial investment of $49.99. The kit connects to any personal computer via full-speed USB 2.0, which allows faster programming and firmware upgradeability, and requires no additional power supply for the programmer or target application board.
Expected to be available in December 2006 for general sampling and volume-production orders. Their superset counterparts, the PIC16F616/HV616 and PIC12F615/HV615 microcontrollers are available now for general sampling, and are expected to be available for volume-production ordering in December.
Pricing (for 10,000-unit quantities)
- PIC16F616/610 start at $0.73 each
- PIC16HV616/610 start at $0.77 each
- The PIC12F615/609 start at $0.60 each
- PIC12HV615/609 start at $0.64 each
Possible Related Entries: